Passage: Matthew 15:1–20
MISSIONAL COMMUNITY QUESTIONS
(Please take a moment to pray and write down your answers to the questions on paper. The depth of our fellowship, discipleship, care, and mission is a reflection of our daily devotions with Jesus. These questions help to provide a guide for your quite-time with Jesus.)
1. Pray and re-read Matthew 15:1-20 (If possible listen to the sermon again)
2. In looking over your notes from Sunday, what was the most important truth from God's Word? Was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
3. Read Matthew 23:25-28. How does this apply to our sermon text?
Further, examine your own life. In what areas of your life might Jesus call you a 'whitewashed tomb"?
4. Pastor Eric gave two different definitions of hypocrisy. Review those definitions.
Which, not if, of the two are the way in which you struggle most?
How does the gospel speak into this struggle?
5. How and when has Jesus already tackled the issue of inward vs. outward obedience in Matthew? Find scripture references.
Why is this clearly so important to Jesus and his ministry?
6. "Few things are more spiritually harmful than outward practice of religion apart from the repentance and faith that characterize the true follower of Jesus. By contrast, the secret practice of piety is a useful indicator that one's heart is in the right condition."--Gospel Transformation Bible
How do verses 8-9 warn us about only worshipping Jesus outwardly?
Is this still an issue in 2017 and how can we speak to it in a Christlike way?
7. Read Philippians 2:12. Does this apply to our sermon text?
Why or why not?
How do we, as Christians, actively seek to work out our faith with fear and trembling?