Abide in Jesus
- Re-read 1 John 2:18-29 and John 15:1-11. If possible, listen to the sermon again.
- Looking back over your notes from this week’s sermon what was the most important truth from God's Word? Was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged you, or confused you? Any questions?
- John 15 tells us to make sure we are attached to the only true vine. We are also told in many cases such as Philippians 2:12-13 to 'work'. Find other scriptures that command us to do work(s) and connect the dots back to John 15's command to be connected to the true vine.
- I am not going to ask "if"...but think back to a time when something/someone over promised and under delivered, a time when you were convinced that something in your life was truly going to satisfy you. How did God lovingly return you to Him and his satisfaction? What did he use to remind you? How do you keep from becoming convinced again?
- Hebrews 12 is where the Bible talks about God and his discipline. It says that God disciplines the ones he loves and it is for our good. Pastor Eric said a good parent will discipline their children by taking away things that they want, not things that do not matter to them. Name and discuss some things you once loved that you are grateful that God took away. It may have been painful at the time but looking back you can see God's abundant grace in it.
- As a group, discuss some practical ways in which we can 'abide'...in Jesus (John 15:4), in God's Word (15:7, 1 John 2:24)), in His love (15:10).