Exodus 22: "Justice"
October 17, 2021 Speaker: Eric Baker Series: Exodus
Passage: Exodus 22
1. Reread Exodus 21. If possible, listen to the sermon(s) again.
2. Looking back over this sermon and this sermon series, how has God convicted your heart, stirred your affections for Jesus, drawn you closer to Him? How has the Word challenged, confused, or made you ask questions?
3. On Sunday, Pastor Eric discussed the differences between moral law, civil law, and ceremonial law. This has long been one of the arguments of unbelievers that we do not follow all of the Old Testament rules and regulations. Read the below article: https://www.redeemer.com/redeemer-report/article/old_testament_law_and_the_charge_of_inconsistency
How does this weeks sermon and this article help us to understand the difference and why it is not inconsistent to follow the moral law and not the civil/ceremonial?
4. How was this text able to reframe your ideas of justice being restorative instead of punitive?
5. Read Jeremiah 22:3 and Micah 6:8. These texts call us specifically to be more Christlike toward others. How does seeing God as both just and merciful point us directly to the gospel? How does Jesus’ commands in Matthew 5:38-42 show us that we can also be people in favor of both mercy and justice simultaneously?
6. We know that if we are anyone in the story of the Good Samaritan we are the man beaten and laying in the ditch. However, as you examine yourself in regards to mercy and justice, who do you most identify with in the story and why?
More in Exodus
November 14, 2021Exodus 28-29: The Royal Priest
November 7, 2021Exodus 25-30: God Dwells
October 31, 2021Exodus 24: Covenant In Christ