The Gift of Intimacy In Marriage
September 11, 2022 Speaker: Eric Baker Series: Fight The Drift: A Study of 1 Corinthians
Passage: 1 Corinthians 7:1–6
MISSIONAL COMMUNITY QUESTIONS
1. Reread 1 Corinthians 7 and Genesis 1-2. If possible, listen to the sermon(s) again.
2. Looking back over this sermon and this sermon series, how has God convicted your heart, stirred your affections for Jesus, or drawn you closer to Him? How has the Word challenged, confused, or made you ask questions?
3. “Sex within marriage is not only encouraged but is commanded.” How did you initially respond to this comment in your own head and heart? Why?
4. How can you see in your own marriages the connection between AGAPE (unconditional) love and EROS (erotic) love? How can this connection be healthy? Conversely, how can it also be unhealthy if not properly aligned theologically?
5. The six results/objectives of sex within marriage were listed as:
- UNIFICATION (bringing two people together to be one),
- RE-CREATION (renewing of the marital covenant within the marriage),
- PROCREATION (being fruitful and multiplying),
- PROTECTION (from temptation and immorality),
- RECREATION pleasure, having fun within the boundaries set forth in scripture),
- GLORIFICATION (worshiping God through intimacy the way he set it up.)
Which of these most resonated with you and why?
Which of these do you think is never really taught to people pre-marriage? What difference would it make if it were?
Article for review:
More in Fight The Drift: A Study of 1 Corinthians
January 29, 2023A Pastor's Love for His Church
January 22, 20231 Corinthians 15:50-58
January 15, 2023Resurrected Bodies?