Assurance: Love Like Jesus
1. Read 1 John 2:7-11. If possible, listen to the sermon again.
2. Looking back over your notes from the past two weeks sermons what was the most important truth from God's Word? Was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged you, or confused you? Any questions?
3. Blind spots are called that for a reason. John says that people can be walking around in the darkness because they are blinded. How has this letter so far revealed some areas of darkness in your life and heart? How well do you feel you love people? Why or why not? How can we as a church help expose and eradicate those areas of darkness?
4. This is the list of ways to love others and the accompanying scripture references mentioned on Sunday. Read each one.
a) How does Jesus exemplify these perfectly? (use scripture)
b) What are some practical ways in which these general ideas can be carried out in our church and in the world to love people where they are?
1. Put others first…Philippians 2:3-5
2. Seek the good of others…1 Thessalonians 5:14-15
3. Forgive others…Matthew 6:14-15, Romans 12:17-21
4. Give your time…James 1:19-22
5. Be generous…2 Corinthians 9:11
6. Make sacrifices that are costly to you…John 15:13
7. Pray for them…especially the ones you really don’t want to…Matt5:44, James 5:16
8. Rejoice with those who rejoice, mourn with those who mourn…Romans 12:14-15
9. Bear one anothers burdens…Galatians 6:2
5. Hatred may be the antithesis of love but selfishness many times is how that manifests itself in reality. What are you most selfish about? When do you see this most in your life? Is it at specific times, places, or people, or all of the above?
6. “I believe that one reason why the church of God at this present moment has so little influence over the world is because the world has so much influence over the church.
The Bible is not the light to the world, it is the light of the church. But the world doesn’t read the Bible, the world reads Christians. And You are the light of the world.”—Spurgeon
In what ways do we most see the worlds influence over the church? What about at Mission specifically? In what ways has this worldly influence crept into your personal life?
Now, as a group using God’s Word, speak truth into these influences and then pray God would make them real and evident in the way we love people so that if the world is reading us they get an accurate picture of God and His Word?