The American Gospel
- Re-read 1 John 2:15-17. If possible, listen to the sermon(s) again.
- Looking back over your notes from this week’s sermon (or the past few weeks in 2 Timothy) what was the most important truth from God's Word? Was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged you, or confused you? Any questions?
- How would you define 'Moralistic Therapeutic Deism'?
Why is this religious expression so appealing in America, and even in our churches?
Most importantly, why is it so very dangerous? Are you still believing a version of it?
- If you (or anyone) is 'ho-hum' about the gospel what are you missing? How is it being misrepresented by the church if it is not seen as revolutionary and offensive to our culture at large?
- We sin because we love it. To avoid sin we must love Jesus more.
What sins are you still loving too much? How can hearing the gospel over and over again, make you love Jesus more?
- Read Matthew 6:19-24 and 2 Corinthians 4:16-21. Connect these and our sermon text? How can seeing these truths help us when we are alluded by the health, wealth, and prosperity gospel?
- Many churches that are attractional and seeker sensitive do, in fact, grow. Using scripture, what should 'attract' someone to our church? What is the danger of the seeker sensitive movement?